Re: Experiences of being an AM

* Mark Brown (broonie@sirena.org.uk) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:00:35PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > As for 'no consensus', I'm not sure where you get that idea from, I'm
> > pretty confident the consensus in Debian and with some upstreams is to
> > use versioned symbols which are basically just a stamp of the SONAME
> > for each library.  It's reasonably simple, can be automated and
> > handled by libtool and similar things (in fact, a patch exists to do
> > exactly this for libtool) and has minimal impact on upstream.
>
> Whenever this comes up on -devel it always seems moderately
> controversial: one sees people advocating things like putting versioned
> symbols in as a Debian-local change (which many would see as excessively
> invasive), for example.

Erm, not that I've heard.  Certainly we'd all like such changes to be
incorporated upstream, and are working towards that.  It will be
unfortunate in those cases where we have to do it Debian-local.  Though
I think having the libtool changes incorporated in upstream libtool will
help bring library authors on-board.  There have been some concerns
raised that having the changes be Debian-local will cause problems when
copying binaries around between distributions but as far as I've heard
as long as you've got a halfway recent loader it shouldn't be a
problem...

	Stephen