Re: Experiences of being an AM

Hi, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:00:35PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>> As for 'no consensus', I'm not sure where you get that idea from, I'm
>> pretty confident the consensus in Debian and with some upstreams is to
>> use versioned symbols which are basically just a stamp of the SONAME
>> for each library.  It's reasonably simple, can be automated and
>> handled by libtool and similar things (in fact, a patch exists to do
>> exactly this for libtool) and has minimal impact on upstream.
>
> Whenever this comes up on -devel it always seems moderately
> controversial: one sees people advocating things like putting versioned
> symbols in as a Debian-local change (which many would see as excessively
> invasive), for example.

The inevitable crashes when a program ends up dynamically linked to two
different versions of a library are far more invasive...

... so, submit the change to Upstream. Everbody wins.

That being said, I'd support replacing that AM question with something
along the lines of ...
[ insert after the other shared-library questions ]

"Let's assume other libraries link to yours. What might happen when you
need to change its soname?"
[ see above. ]

"What can you do to prevent the problem?"
[ ditto. ]

"When should you do this?"
[ Now. ]

--