AM Report for Gaudenz Steinlin

Report for new developer applicant Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@soziologie.ch>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x0A5FB687:

   ID Check passed, Key signed by many developers, as shown below...

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x0A5FB687:

pub  1024D/0A5FB687 2000-05-26 Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz.steinlin@soziologie.ch>
     Key fingerprint = 54C4 5000 49D3 DAA2 4214  3A59 F2B5 2A5D 0A5F B687
sig!        68FD549F 2003-07-30   Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
sig!2       3F3E6426 2003-07-13   Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
sig!2       797EBFAB 2003-07-15   Enrico Zini <enrico@debian.org>
sig!2       607559E6 2003-07-16   Benjamin Hill (Mako) <mako@debian.org>
sig!2       2BE16D01 2003-07-23   Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org>
sig!2       5706A4B4 2003-07-27   Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de>
sig!2       5662C734 2003-07-30   Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org>
sig!3       75BE8097 2003-07-15   Florian Lohoff <flo@mini.gt.owl.de>
sig!3       44779E18 2003-07-16   Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@debian.org>
sig!3       BD8B050D 2003-07-17   Roland Rosenfeld <roland@debian.org>
sig!3       86A118E6 2003-07-18   Christian Hammers <ch@lathspell.de>
sig!3       29F19BD1 2003-07-18   Michael Meskes <michael@fam-meskes.de>
sig!3       7E7B8AC9 2003-07-22   Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>
sig!3       94C09C7F 2003-07-22   Peter Palfrader
sig!3       07447252 2003-07-24   Thorsten Sauter <tsauter@gmx.net>
sig!3       4B3A135C 2003-08-10   Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org>
sig!        0A5FB687 2000-05-26   Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz.steinlin@soziologie.ch>
	[...]

   Applicant writes:

As you probably already know, my name is Gaudenz Steinlin and I live in
Bern, Switzerland. I'm 28 year old. I'm currently studying Sociology and
Mathematics at the University of Bern. I will finish my studies with a
masters degree in about a year.

I came to Unix and Linux in summer 1995 when I was attending a Computer
Science Camp for high school/college students at the Computing Center of
the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. There we were using some
flavour of UNIX and another student told me about Linux which he said
was licensed under Copyleft so anyone can download it for free. I then
downloaded some Slackware disk sets with my modem at home and started
playing with Linux. Later I tried SuSE because it was the only
distribution available on CD in most Swiss book stores. About three
years ago I started using Debian because I got annoyed by all those
wizards SuSE implemented in YaST. They changed things I strange ways.
Debian is my primary choice as Linux Distribution since then.
Most of my Linux skills I learned while working for the Computer
Services Department of the University of Bern. I implemented the first
Linux solutions there. Among other things I set up a cluster for "High
Performance Computing" and gave introductory courses to Linux for system
administrators. Currently I'm teaching basic Linux System Administration
for the Swiss Institute of Intellectual Property. They want to do a LPI
L1 certification for some of their Windows System Administrators.

Since about half a year I'm working on the debian-installer project. I
was looking for a free software project to get involved with and this
project was listed on debians /devel/todo website. I also attended the
Oldenburg d-i debcamp. After becoming a Debian Developer I intend to
continue to work on debian-installer. If someday d-i will be perfect and
nothing more needs to be done (I don't expect this to happen in the next
few months :-) ) I will look for another part of Debian that needs help.
I'm also interested in making Debian more friendly to computer newbies
while still having a good distribution for experts. I will probably also
maintain some packages (see below) but this is not my main interest and
I'm more interested in team efforts where I can learn from others and
work with them (and hopefully someone can also learn from my experience)
than in doing packaging work all on my own.
I'm really convinced of the idea of free software and I think that this
software development model is superior to proprietary software for
practical and philosophical reasons. This is the main reason why I want
to contribute to Debian. After using free software for several years and
also earning some money with it I think it's time to give something
back. Free Software is also a great way to learn more and I hope that my
skills will constantly improve while working for Debian.

2. Philosophy and Procedures

   Gaudenz understands and agrees to uphold Debian's philosophies. He
   was also able to answer all my questions about Debian's procedures.