AM Report for Don Armstrong

Report for new developer applicant Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x808D0FD0:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 4 existing DD.

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x808D0FD0

pub  1024D/808D0FD0 2001-01-13 Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
     Key fingerprint = 45AD 1B8A 9474 319A 4F7F  6498 81C0 8922 808D 0FD0
sig!3     X 06AA24A0 2002-11-24   Chris Danis <chris.danis@mercom.com>
sig!3       808D0FD0 2003-01-25   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!3       808D0FD0 2003-04-04   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!        7C796B7D 2003-11-24   Richard A. Hecker (NoWhereMan) <hecker@debian.org>
sig!3       81C2A4AC 2003-11-28   Mats Rynge (Work) <rynge@isi.edu>
sig!3       43E25D1E 2003-12-23   Matt Zimmerman <mdz@alcor.net>
sig!        808D0FD0 2001-01-13   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
uid                            Don Armstrong <don@anylevel.com>
sig!3       808D0FD0 2002-01-23   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
uid                            Don Armstrong <don@5045kensington.com>
uid                            Don Armstrong <armstd02@student.ucr.edu>
sig!3     X 06AA24A0 2002-11-24   Chris Danis <chris.danis@mercom.com>
sig!3       808D0FD0 2003-01-25   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!3       808D0FD0 2003-04-04   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!3       81C2A4AC 2003-11-28   Mats Rynge (Work) <rynge@isi.edu>
sig!3       43E25D1E 2003-12-23   Matt Zimmerman <mdz@alcor.net>
sig!        808D0FD0 2001-04-10   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!3       808D0FD0 2003-04-04   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sub  4096R/BC6854DD 2003-01-09 [expires: 2005-01-08]
sig!        808D0FD0 2003-01-09   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sub  3072g/282BF6BC 2001-01-13 [expires: 2005-04-03]
sig!        808D0FD0 2003-04-04   Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>

27 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
I am currently a graduate student in the Cell, Molecular and
Developmental Biology program at UC Riverside. I primarily work on
lipid membranes and membrane microdomains (so called lipid rafts). I
also work with gene microarrays, most recently examining the effect of
Alzheimer's disease on brain primary cell cultures of individuals who
have died with the disease.

In my research, I use alot of free software tools, like R, bioperl,
etc. and I have written alot of glue in perl to tie everything
together. Free Software tools aree almost an imperative, because it
often becomes necessary to modify tools and/or check the validity of
results from tools, which is something that is fairly impossible with
proprietary tools. Because so many of these tools are usefull to my
research, it's quite important for me to spend whatever time is
necessary to make sure that these tools keep working, and stay free.

As far as Debian is concerned, I have been working on maintaing a few
packages which are usefull for my research and/or for my hobbies, and
supporting the maintainers of packages that I use but don't maintain.
My other major work is helping to interpret licenses and answer
questions regarding the DFSG on debian-legal. Currently, I am working
with the GFDL committee to work on a DFSG free GFDL, and I will
shortly be getting involved in the 2.0 Apache License discussions as
well. My work (and others work) in this area will hopefully enable
Debian to work with the FSF and ASF to get licenses that are DFSG Free
so works under these licenses can stay in Debian.

I came to the Free Software world and GNU/Linux in general in 1997 as
I started college, after spending a considerable amount of time in the
Macintosh Shareware/Freeware community. After being able to fix a few
of the system administration problems I had by simply modifying code
and submitting a patch upstream [at the time I was administering a 2
thousand node network] I was sold on GNU/Linux, and later on in 1998
switched from RedHat to Debian.
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

I got this from "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org> after I asked about
the GFDL committee stuff from above:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
Don has been an active participant on the debian-legal mailing
list. His time on the list list has earned him a reputation as one of
the most thoughtful and respected participants -- and therefore one of
the most valuable.

When Bruce Perens and the DPL was putting together a committee to
discuss the GFDL, Don was the best example of a -legal participant who
posted frequently, demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the issues
involved in the GFDL, and was reserved and diplomatic in enough in his
criticism that he could begin to bridge the gaps between the FSF and
Debian in regards to the GFDL. While the fact that he was not a
developer was viewed as potentially problematic, there was simply
nobody more qualified for the job and we couldn't justify choosing
anyone else.

In his work on the GFDL committee, Don has proved himself invaluable
as someone who knows the issues at stake and knows the Debian position
and how things will be received by -legal and the project. For his
-legal and GFDL work alone, Debian should waste no time it making him
a developer.
Please free to send to to anyone and quote it anywhere.
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Don has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
   Don is Maintainer of some perl packages, all Packages in Debian.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:  don
   Forward-Email: don@donarmstrong.com

--
bye Joerg
<doogie_> linux takes shit and turns it into something useful.