AM Report for Warren Turkal

AM report for Warren Turkal <wt@midsouth.rr.com>

Identity
--------

I ran a renamed version of keycheck.sh to check Warren's key:

jim@cato:~$ keycheck 4ACD0F9C
      800654 100%  140.55kB/s    0:00:05
        1890 100%    0.00kB/s    0:00:00
       24191 100%  259.60kB/s    0:00:00
gpg: keyring `/home/jim/.gnupg/nm.gpg' created
gpg: key 4ACD0F9C: public key "Warren Turkal <wt@midsouth.rr.com>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
pub  1024D/4ACD0F9C 2002-10-24 Warren Turkal <wt@midsouth.rr.com>
     Key fingerprint = 1D1F B7D0 52F1 951E 7710  B350 60C0 B091 4ACD 0F9C
sig!3       4ACD0F9C 2003-08-08   Warren Turkal <wt@midsouth.rr.com>
uid                            Warren Turkal <wturkal@cbu.edu>
sig!3       A3D7B9BC 2002-11-22   Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org>
sig!3       4ACD0F9C 2002-10-24   Warren Turkal <wt@midsouth.rr.com>
sub  1024g/8F1B8195 2002-10-24
sig!        4ACD0F9C 2002-10-24   Warren Turkal <wt@midsouth.rr.com>

The email address he is applying with has not been signed by Chris Lawrence.
So, just to be sure that he really does control both addresses, I sent him a
mail (encrypted and signed by my key) to his cbu.edu address, containing a few
random/funny pairs of words, and then sent a few more pairs of words in another
mail (unencrypted and signed by my key) to his midsouth.rr.com address. I told
him to include all pairs of words from both emails in his next email to me,
which I also told him to sign. There may have been a simpler way, but this
worked, and he satisfactorily proved to me that both email addresses are
controlled by the same person, one of whose user ids was indeed signed by
Debian developer Chris Lawrence.

Warren passes the ID check.

Background
----------

The private portion of his mini-biography of himself is really irrelevant to
this application. Here is the public portion:

"I am Warren Turkal. I am a recent graduate of Christian Brothers University in
Memphis, Tennessee, USA. I graduated with a BS in Computer Science. I am also
currently the President of GOLUM (Group Of Linux Users, Memphis). I was first
exposed to Linux in 1995. I have been using Linux full time since May of
1999. In 2001 (I think), I started using Debian. I was very impressed with
the ease of upgrading, and I have been hooked ever since.
[...]
I am currently employeed doing systems monitoring. If a service goes down, I
am the first one to know, and it is my responsibility to bring it back up.

Some current projects I am working on in the free software realm include
making sure the xlibs are ready for prime time in freedesktop.org and talking
with the automake people about adding better cross compilation support. I
spend a lot of time on the Freenode IRC network talking with other
freedesktop.org contributors.

In my personal time, I watch movie and anime. I also like rollerblading and
chess. I am terrible at rollerblading and chess, by the way."

Philosophy & Procedures
-----------------------

I had a dialogue with Warren via email and IRC about P&P. Despite not
immediately understanding all the nuances of the Pine license, he seems
to have a good grasp of our philosophy and procedures and he agrees with it.
He passes the P&P check.

Tasks & Skills
--------------

First, a quote from Daniel Stone, Warren's advocate, that fits better here
than elsewhere in this report:

"I have worked with Warren for a while now in my capacity as XFree86
co-maintainer, and found him to be invaluable within the XSF. He has
done what he said he would do, and has been our upstream liason by
constantly submitting patches upstream, and working with upstream to
improve our patch hell. He has excellent communication, P&P and T&S
skills, and I have no hesitation in advocating him."

Second, he's the current maintainer of dbs, sponsored by Brian May. This is
quite a package to handle, but surprisingly it has only 6 bugs and none
higher than severity minor. He and his sponsor have successfully tackled
several bugs recently, and at least some of them (maybe all, it's hard to
tell) had the actual fixes provided by Warren and not Brian.

Overall, Warren passes the Tasks & Skills check extremely well.

Recommendation

I recommend that Warren be accepted as a Debian developer.
Account: wt
Email forwarding address: wt@midsouth.rr.com

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org