AM Summary for Florian Weimer

Hi

Report for new developer applicant Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x02D524BE:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 1 existing DD, me.

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x02D524BE

pub  2048R/02D524BE 2002-03-19 Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
     Key fingerprint = C8D3 D9CF FA9E 7056 3F32  FA54 BF7B FF04 02D5 24BE
sig!3       02D524BE 2002-03-19   Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
sig!3       02D524BE 2002-03-19   Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
sig!3       7E7B8AC9 2002-10-07   Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>
uid                            Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
uid                            Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
sig!3       02D524BE 2002-03-19   Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
sig!3       02D524BE 2002-03-19   Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
sig!3       7E7B8AC9 2002-10-07   Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>
sub  2048R/2450A7B1 2002-03-19
sig!        02D524BE 2002-03-19   Florian Weimer (HIGH SECURITY KEY) <fw@deneb.enyo.de>

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
Oh.  At the moment, I'm studying mathematics at the University of
Stuttgart.  I'm mainly interested in representation theory, but
currently attending other courses to get my diploma.

Besides this, I work at the computing center of the university, in the
security team (RUS-CERT).  I currently focus on the development of new
services and fake network security.  In addition, I regularly write
articles for our security news service
(<http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/ticker/>).

I'm an Ada enthusiast, and hope to abolish buffer overflows by
(slowly) rewriting critical software in Ada. ;-)

I intend to work mostly on Ada-related packages, and on security
policies (e.g. Debian's approach towards X.509 browser CAs, or the
measures to be taken after the inevitable first big Debian security
compromise).  And I'm going to package a few Perl modules which we
need at work.

In quite a few cases, I will be able to help with concrete security
issues, I guess.  But there's an obstacle: I won't participate in
hiding information from users, because I believe this is morally
wrong.  However, I respect that the Debian Project doesn't share my
view at the moment and interprets the Social Contract differently, and
I intend to make sure that this will not result in a dilemma, neither
for the Debian project, nor the Security Team, nor for me.

Debian is an important tool, both at work and for my home network.  I
don't expect this will change during the next few years, so I better
make sure that Debian remains such a useful tool.  And it's only fair
if I give back some of the time Debian helps me to save on system
administration.

In addition, it bugs me that we can't recommend Debian officially at
RUS-CERT.  Relying on Debian introduces many risks.  Some of them are
inherent to the project, some can be mitigated.  By becoming more
involved with Debian, I hope to better understand the internal
procedures, and contribute improvements and/or document the risks, so
that we can recommend Debian one day.
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Florian has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
   Florian is Maintainer of xml2rfc, ada-reference-manual, all Packages
   in Debian.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account: fw
   Forward-Email: fw@deneb.enyo.de

--
bye Joerg
<Christian> bignachos: the famous pornview maintainer?