Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

Steve Langasek wrote:
> And adopting is the only way to improve the existing system?  I would
> argue that finding bad packages and *filing for their removal* is a far
> better example of improving the existing Debian system than adopting a
> package that no one uses.
> I also agree that Debian is already too big for us to continue adding
> unlimited developers to our ranks who are only interested in working on
> their pet packages.

Probably something like "apprentice comaintainership" would be a very nice way
to educate DDs and IMHO is an approach to that should be more considered more
systematically. (I'm presently helping Christian Kurz with dput on that basis.)

But look at what happened when I tried to do something about the WNPP (and
pitifully "maintained") package phpgroupware ([0],[1] - and I should add that
I've received private mail encouraging me to continue to try to take over
phpgroupware and that exactly *nothing* happened since that thread on the side
of Luca and his favorite successor). I guess I'm be looking for a sponsor, but
who will sponsor the package while Luca is still clawing?

Similarly I've seen several occasions when non-DDs picked the short straw when
trying to do something on WNPP packages. And then there's all those "I need help
with..." mail on -devel, a lot of which turn out to be "... but only DDs should
apply" in private mail.

Cheers

T.

0.