Re: New Debian Maintainer: hilaire@ofset.org

On 21 Feb 2003 23:45:37 +0000
Scott James Remnant <keybuk@debian.org> wrote:

> > > I suggest you read the debian-devel-announce archives, and find out what
> > > you need to do!
> > >
> > > I will be considering correctly following the transition a major part of
> > > your NM process.
> >
> > Ok
> >
> How are you progressing with this?  Please give me a full report on the
> steps you have taken so far.

I have been throught the archive and in particular this message

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200301/msg00002.html

and in particular this paragraph:

 If you maintain a library or a program written in C++, that isn't part of the qt2 dependency chain:

    * Wait until all your dependencies have been uploaded in `c102' versions, and rebuilt on all architectures.
    * If your Depends: line isn't generated automatically, you'll need to change it too. But you should be using dpkg-shlibdeps anyway ;-)
    * Upload and rejoice!

I am using Debian/unstable and update/dist-upgrade regulary the
workstation where is compiled DrGenius. As far as I can know, I have
been through these 3 steps and Federico upload DrGenius compiled
with GCC 3.2 since.

However there is other update problem as DrGenius is linked with
LibGuile, and LibGuile in unstalbe will change from to 1.4 and 1.6. 1.4
and 1.6 are not API compatible, this means changes are needed in the
core application. I have not start this transition because as I am
concerned as the upstream author, DrGenius is also used in other
situation in School with other distribution as Debian/Stable, Mandrake
(for example ABULEDU widely used in France and based on mandrake 8.2)
and RedHat. I'll need to find an suitable solution so DrGenius compile ok
with 1.6 and eventually 1.4 for older distribution.

Hilaire