AM report for Jarno Elonen <elonen@iki.fi>

Report for new developer applicant: Jarno Elonen

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

Jarno was advocated by Riku Voipio:

  I know Jarno Elonen personally, he worked as my boss at my previous
  workplace. I hold great respect to both his open source vision, as
  well as to his programming and Unix/Linux skills. He has
  participated debian's kde and openoffice work and his packages (Agi
  studio, soikko, nagi that I plan to sponsor ) have been well done,
  and all packaging-related problems in those packages have been
  quickly resolved. I believe Jarno would be great value to the
  project as a developer.

GPG Keyid: F512B8CB

Jarno's key is signed by Riku Voipio.

Background:

Jarno says about himself:

  I'm a programmer and have done mostly computer game development - in
  a very broad sense - for living. I'm pretty fluent in wide variety
  of aspects in software development and have had a chance to do
  pretty much anything from sound and graphics design to scripting,
  GUI programming, webmastering, video codec design and project
  management.

  Even after having been a founder in two companies, however, I still
  dislike business world in principle. In addition to being greedy and
  competitive by definition, it all feels kind of shallow: do boring
  and questionable things to get a product sold for a couple of months
  and then just forget about it - keeping all the copyrights and code
  for yourself, "just in case" or "to protect the owners'
  value". While I like the work itself, I loathe wasting and
  competition. A human life is short and I know I can contribute more
  that that. Until the business culture changes radically or I give up
  IT for something completely different, "Sustainable Software" on my
  free time is the way to go about it.

  Some of my activities:

   + Finnish translations of a few programs
   + Packaging and fixing applications (KDE apps,
     OpenOffice, video and graphics stuff)
   + Upstream development: http://agistudio.sf.net/
   + Open *Content* projects like
     http://sanakirja.sf.net/ (an ambitious Finnish<->English lexicon project)
     Creative Commons @ Finland (discussing, maybe scripting, coming up)
   + Webmastering EFFI.org (Electronic Frontier Finland)
   + Debian specific development:
     http://elonen.iki.fi/code/dpkg-merge/
     http://elonen.iki.fi/code/parse-apt-files.inc

2. Philosophy and Procedures
----------------------------

Jarno shows a very personnal and deep understanding of Free Software
and Debian philosophies.  He was able to answer all my Questions about
Social Contract, DFSG, BTS etc. to my satisfaction.

I am confident in Jarno's knowledge in both philosophy and policy.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------

Jarno is Maintainer of agistudio and nagi.  Both are very well
packaged.  He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without
major problem.  Jarno proved he is able to maintain packages and to
contribute to Debian.

I recommend that Jarno be accepted into the Debian project as a
developer.

  Account: elonen
  Forward-Email: elonen@iki.fi

Cheers,
Benjamin

--
  .''`.
 ; ;' ;      Debian GNU/Linux     |   Benjamin Drieu