Re: Big problem - GnuPG key deleted

On Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003, at 06:07 US/Eastern, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

 The point is, do you really remember that you have seen the same
government-issued photo ID back then? [...] There are two
Gerfried Fuchs in austria (at least, from what I know), and I wouldn't
like the other one to go to one of my signers, show him his
government-issued photo ID and tell them to revoke their signature on
the old key.

You're setting a higher standard to revoke a signature than to make one. I think that's extremely silly. The other Gerfried Fuchs could easily go to some person, saying he's you, show his photo ID and get his key signed as you.

If someone who proves himself to be Gerfried Fuchs comes up to me (assuming I had signed your key, which I haven't) and tells me to revoke that signature, I have a good reason to doubt the correctness of my signature. I'd of course compare details as much as possible, etc.

Breaking a single good link in the web of trust is nowhere near as bad as allowing a bad link to remain.