AM Report for Matthias Urlichs

Hi
Report for new developer applicant Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.de>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0xD70AAFF9:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 1 existing DD, grisu@debian.org

   Output from gpg --with-fingerprint --no-default-keyring \
   		  	   --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg \
   		  	   --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.pgp \
			   --check-sigs $1

pub  1024D/D70AAFF9 1998-11-20 Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
     Key fingerprint = 2A11 1B38 C4DB 23BF A7C7  E19D F3E8 5400 D70A AFF9
sig!3       258D8781 2003-03-30   Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!3       D70AAFF9 2003-03-08   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.de>
sig!        D70AAFF9 2002-06-26   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
sig!3       258D8781 2003-03-30   Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!3       D70AAFF9 1998-11-20   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.net>
sig!3       258D8781 2003-03-30   Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!3       D70AAFF9 2001-02-18   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs <urlichs@noris.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs <urlichs@noris.net>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs <matthias.urlichs@noris.de>
sig!3       258D8781 2003-03-30   Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!3       D70AAFF9 2002-11-15   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs <matthias.urlichs@noris.net>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs (M:U  IT-Know-How) <urlichs@m-u-it.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs (no longer working there) <mur@sigos.de>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs (Old email address) <urlichs@smurf.sub.org>
uid                            Matthias Urlichs (Old email address) <urlichs@smurf.noris.de>
sig!3       258D8781 2003-03-30   Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!3       D70AAFF9 2001-02-18   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
sub  1504g/CAA29391 1998-11-20
sig!        D70AAFF9 1998-11-20   Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>

54 signatures not checked due to missing keys

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
OK... the first work I did with Unix was in the context of Apple's old
A/UX Unix, which was a cobbled-together hybrid of Sys5 and BSD networking.
I wrote a driver for an ISDN card for it. It became apparent really fast
that debugging such a thing without access to open source code (meaning,
it's not enough to be able to look at the code -- I need to make
modifications, and recompile) the task becomes impossible.

Anyway, after not making the system stable enough for production use I
then switched to Linux/i386 and ported the code to the new environment.
At the time, Linux 0.99.whatever had no usable internal queueing and no
Internet-ready network code, so I took some not-quite-legal Streams code,
the NetBSD networking core, the rest of the kernel, and hooked everything
together. ;-)  That worked (rather well, in fact), but the main lesson I
leaned from this is that programming alone is a Bad Thing, and being
unable to share your code is even worse in a couple of major ways.

These days, I use Debian on i386, ARM and PPC machines; I intend to mainly
do QA-related things (i.e. "find out why this code doesn't work on PPC",
"here's the changes to get that code to cross-compile smoothly") work, and
help with prodding people and maybe NMUing stuff (like the blocked Perl
5.8 and Python 2.2 moves from Unstable into Testing).

On the programming side, my major strengths are debugging, and protocol
/ systems design.

I want to share my time because, pragmatically, if I want the code running
on my systems to have some feature or other, and nobody else coded them
into the programs I'd like to use, then obviously I'll have to do the work
myself ;-)  Sharing this work with other people means that (a) they have
more time to work on other nifty features, and (b) ideally my new feature
and their new feature co-exist nicely  -- re-integrating a change into
every new upstream release is not my idea of productive work.
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Matthias has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Matthias is Maintainer of datefudge, python-docutils and fdflush, all
   Packages in Debian. As far as i know he is on his way to prepare a
   new festival upload to fix the build failures it creates.
   For the T&S Stuff i checked a debhelper-less variant of datefudge.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

4. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:  smurf
   Forward-Email: smurf@noris.net

--
bye Joerg