                    *** DUPLICATE NAME WARNING ***
                   There are several Nelson's in NM

 - Brian (Michael) Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>  <-- this one
 - Brian (Michael) Nelson <bnelson@bloodclot.net> <-- another one (AM: madhack)
 - Michael Nelson <cerberus@kobayashimaru.org> <-- yet another one (AM: ocsi)

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with Keyid 0x6F222F1F
   ID Check passed, Key signed from 2 existing DD's,
       Joshua Haberman and Osamu Aoki

   Output from gpg --check-sigs 0x66F24521
pub  1024D/66F24521 2002-01-24 Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
sig!3       213EED76 2002-09-14   Joshua Haberman <joshua@debian.org>
sig!3       66F24521 2002-09-15   Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
sig!3       A8061F32 2002-10-29   Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
uid                            Brian Nelson <bmn1@cornell.edu>
uid                            Brian Nelson <bnelson@fernengineering.com>
sig!3       66F24521 2002-09-15   Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
sig!3       A8061F32 2002-10-29   Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
sub  1024g/7BAB1AD5 2002-01-24
sig!        66F24521 2002-01-24   Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>

   Brian writes:

I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, but I find computer science far
more interesting :) .  I programmed professionally throughout college
and for a couple years after I graduated.  I programmed mostly in C++,
especially with the Qt toolkit, but also have experience with C, Perl,
Java, Fortran, and others.  Now, I'm looking toward pursuing a graduate
degree in computer science.

I was first introduced to Linux back in 1995 by my college roommate.
The merits of free software were obvious to me even back then, when
Linux was far more raw than it is now.  Since then, I've always had
Linux installed on one machine or another and have been through the
whole gamut of distributions, including Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, and
Corel, before finally turning to Debian in early 2001.

I've decided to volunteer my time to Debian for several reasons.  First
of all, I love the Debian community; there are some amazing and
brilliant people involved in the Debian project.  Through the community,
I've learned far more in the past 2 years than I did in my previous five
years of Linux usage.  Second, I enjoy the openness and democratic
nature of the project.  I find it very satisfying that anything I
contribute, whether through package maintainance or by simply voicing my
opinions and views on the mailing lists, can have a direct impact on the
project.  Finally, after using free software for several years, I enjoy
giving back to the free software community.

I have an assortment of interests regarding the Debian project.  Most of
my work thusfar with Debian has been in package development.  However,
I've also contributed documentation to Osamu's "Debian Reference" guide.
Furthermore, I've done some QA work by sending patches to the BTS.
Finally, I regularly offer support to Debian users on the mailing lists.
In the future, I plan to continue these activities, and would also like
to explore some other areas of the project.  For example, I've been
keeping an eye on debian-installer development, and I'm hoping to find
some time in the near future to do some hacking on it.
<<<<<<
  His Advocate, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>, writes

Brian has taken over maintainership of mysql-navigator after it was
orphaned by Remco van de Meent <remco>. There have been no serious
problems - a bit of polishing was needed here and there; everything was
done nicely.

I also talked to Jan Niehusmann <jan> who sponsored Brian's libqwt(-dev)
package. He too was quite pleased with the work done.

Brian's new package scoop is being sponsored by Colin Watson <cjwatson>.
He writes:
| His scoop packaging is dealing with some fairly complicated
| configuration file issues; so far I've been impressed with how he's
| attacking the problem. His packaging is good enough that all I have is
| the odd nitpick, and he's civil and polite.
|
| So far I think he'd make an excellent developer.

I think having Brian as a Developer would be a great win for the project
and I wish him luck with the NM process.
<<<<<<

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Brian has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. without problems.

3. Tasks and Skills
   Brian is maintaining libqwt, qtella, pornview, mysql-navigator,
libclass-singleton-perl, and aspell. He also answered my other
Questions regarding T&S without problems.

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal