Re: [patch]: NM page update request (GPG)

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:39:33PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Paul Baker wrote:
>

> > On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 06:28 AM, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Osamu!

> > >Don't the keyservers sync their keyrings regularly?
> >
> > Yes, so the above step is totally unnecessary. You only need to send it
> > to one.
>
> Regularily may well mean once a month or even less often. Sometimes not
> at all. If you want your key (or a revocation certificate) to propagate
> fast and wide upload it to as many keyservers (and different keyserver
> networks) as possible.

Recent experience (with my own key) indicates that keyserver.net and
pgp.net sync slowly enough that it is sufficient to generate people asking
me "why are you signing your emails with a key that isn't on a keyserver"
*weeks* after uploading to only www.keyserver.net, because they were
polling wwwkeys.us.pgp.net.

Uploading twice is only a waste if it does not produce a useful result; it
appears to be useful (though that is a pity), and folks should probably be
encouraged to at least *check* propagation after $INTERVAL, and upload to
networks that don't see the key after that time.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/