HELP!!! New Maint App Process

Hi,

i am interested in becoming a new maintainer. i understand that i need an
advocate to recommend my application. unfortunately i dont know any of the
existing developers to be my advocate. so i posted a message on mentors
and newmaint mailing lists requesting someone to be my advocate. i havent
got any response.

i am a little dazed and hvae the following questions:
0. can one apply to be a newmaintainer without an advocate?
1. how does one get an advocate?
2. how long does the application process take?
3. what are the criteria for selection? (shockingly, i see Richard
   Stallman on hold)

pls. help.

thanks in advance,
Deva Seetharam