AM report on Alastair McKinstry

===============================

Alastair about himself:
-----------------------

I have been using Linux since the pre-1.0 days, and am a software
developer, recently for 3Com (doing kernel development for Linux:
porting Linux to a new processor, on a project that got canned; doing
firmware/driver development). Before that, I was a developer for
Digital/Compaq, doing sysadmin software and kernel development; due to
conflict of interest concerns I did patches (fixes), etc. for Linux
but no big apps. I also did contract work and development, mostly
involving deploying Linux (e.g. in small colleges; fixing X, writing
patches so it works on old, installed hardware, etc).

I am interested in a number of fields: i18n and l10n into Irish and
other celtic languages. I am the developer of ispell modules for
Irish, Scots Gaelic and Manx Gaelic, localisation to Gaelic, etc.

Identity:
---------

Key signed by Debian member Nikita Schmidt.

pub  1024D/905138F4 2001-10-25 Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
sig!       905138F4 2001-10-25  Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
sig!       B0A5FFDC 2002-01-25  Nikita Schmidt <cetus@snowball.ucd.ie>
sub  1024g/260F4374 2001-10-25 [expires: 2004-10-24]
sig!       905138F4 2001-10-25  Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>

Advocate:
---------

The application is advocated by Tollef Fog Heen <tollef@add.no>:

  Alastair has packaged an Irish dictionary for ispell.  There were some
  bugs in the initial packagaging, but he promptly corrected those when
  I pointed them out.  He is also going to look at generating aspell
  dictionaries from the same source.  I think he has the necessary
  skills to become a fine DD.

Philosphy and Procedures:
-------------------------

Alastair knows our philosphy and agrees to it. He answered my questions
on my favourite case study and on debian procedures to my complete
satisfaction.

Tasks and Skills:
-----------------

Alastair is upstream author and maintainer of the debian package
(through the sponsorship of Tollef Fog Heen) of the ispell-ga package
(source package spell-ga). This package provides an ispell dictionary
for the irish (gaellic) language. The package is generally well done,
I just had a minor remark since the copyright file did not contain the
standard phrase referring to the location of the full GPL text.

Evaluation and Check in:

I'm glad to recommand Alastair McKinstry as a new member to Debian.

Preferred login:    mckinstry   if >8 characters OK
                    amck        otherwise
Email forwarded to: alastairmck@eircom.net

-Ralf.