Re: Asking about application process

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:32:43PM +0700, Bambang Purnomosidi D. P. wrote:

> 1. Where should I begin first, find a sponsor or find a developer who
>    can sign my key?

These two are in principle independent, though a potential sponsor
will appreciate when you have your key signed.

> 2. What if I live in a country where I can not see any debian developer?

In this case other means of proving your ID *may* be accepted, but
of course this way it will be more difficult for you to provide
sufficient evidence of your identity.

>    If the answer is to provide a picture of ID:
>    a. What kind of ID is accepted?

In the end this is up to the DAM to decide.

>    b. Should it be international?

You should try to provide proof as good as you can. For instance,
a passport is better than a reader card of your local public library :-)

> 3. Is it possible if I know someone in USA (my boss, actually) who
>    is not a debian developer act as something like "proxy server" :)
>    so that the debian project sure about my identity?

This certainly helps.

> 4. Do you people know someone in Indonesia whom I can see so that I can
>    have my key signed?

There does not seem to be a debian member in Indonesia yet.

Please register on the key signing coordonation page. There is
also the possiblity to meet debian people travelling to
Indonesia. If you have a sponsor he can have an eye on the
travel announcements of other debian members. On the other hand
you should try to meet debian people in case you are travelling
abroad.

Anyway, this should not discourage you from applying to debian if you
are motivated to work with us. You should just allow yourself
some time looking for someone to sign your key before going
the other way.

Good luck -Ralf.