Skills check for sponsored packages

I'm processing my first applicant and would appreciate some advice
regarding the skills check.

My applicant wants to package applications for Debian and has adopted
two of them, being sponsored by their previous developer.

Now, I'm not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with these
packages this time (but there may be).

Should I apply the same standards of rigour to these packages that I
do for my own sponsees' packages, namely, perfection ;)? It doesn't
seem like my place to step on sponsors' toes.

Alternatively, do I just work on the principle that if it's already
in Debian and the mistakes were probably made by the previous
developers, I should just rubber-stamp it?

Maybe there's a solution I'm overlooking but neither of my
alternatives look reasonable.

--
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org>
Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England