AM Summary for Wesley Terpstra

Summary for Wesley Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>

In summary, Wesley writes:

I was introduced to *nix via the internet which my highschool Enligh teacher
got me using about 9 years ago. Shortly thereafter, I switched from TC++ to
gcc and have never switched back. Since then, I've been developing on linux
for 8 years. I ran ygdrasil and slackware intermittently for a year and a
half. Then I switched to debian and have run it since - about 6 years.

I love free software. However, I am more of the Open Source is useful camp
than the information belongs to the world camp. I am a programmer by trade
and I love writing software. Being able to access the source code of
software that I am compiling against is invaluable.

The reason I would like to volunteer to assist the debian project is because
I run it! Often software I am looking for has not been packaged. I could
request that it be packaged, but I have a lot of experience building .debs
and it usually faster to just package them myself. These packages I build
generally float around in use by myself and my friends when others could
benefit. Finally, I've been goaded by my friends into getting off my ass and
going through the NM process. :-)

ID
^^

Wesley's key is signed by Randall Donald <rdonald@debian.org>

dsilvers@ennui:~$ gpg --check-sigs terpstra
pub  1024D/718A9256 2002-01-07 Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>
sig!       718A9256 2002-01-07  Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>
sig!       6C27DEAB 2002-01-23  Randall Donald <rdonald@debian.org>
sub  4096g/53443178 2002-01-07 [expires: 2004-01-07]
sig!       718A9256 2002-01-07  Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>

Philosophy and Procedures
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wesley has answered many questions relating to policy, the BTS, NMUs,
The DFSG etc. He has demonstrated knowledge of the debian list server.

He and I also had a debate about whether upstream packages should
contain debian packaging rules or not -- I believe he has now taken
this to the debian-devel list for further discussion.

Tasks and Skills
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wesley worked on the packaging for State Threads:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/state-threads/st-1.3.tar.gz

He also did a lot of packaging work for a now defunct company (Javien)

deb     http://www.javien.org/debian woody|potato main
deb-src http://www.javien.org/debian woody|potato main

His packaging was to a high standard, save a couple of cosmetic errors which
he has demonstrated an ability to take bug reports and correct problems.

Recommendation

I therefore recommend that Wesley be made a Debian Maintainer.

Debian Login: terpstra
Forwarding Address: wesley@terpstra.ca