AM Report for Scott James Remnant

has qmail to sort mail

Maintainer.

Identification
--------------

Scott provided the following GPG key (attached):

pub  1024D/84AD676C 1999-12-30 Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>
sig!       84AD676C 2001-08-05  Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>
sig?       1A6216F5 2000-12-09
sig?       00036874 2000-09-03
sig!       7E3C8EAB 2000-08-21  Owen Blacker <owen.blacker@marks-and-spencer.com>
sig!       06956E41 2001-10-12  Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>
uid                            Scott James Remnant <sjr@demon.net>
sig!       84AD676C 2001-08-02  Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>
sig!       06956E41 2001-10-12  Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>
uid                            Scott James Remnant <scott@segfault.org>
sig!       84AD676C 2001-08-05  Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>
sig!       06956E41 2001-10-12  Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>
sub  1024g/A66FE6FD 1999-12-30
sig!       84AD676C 1999-12-30  Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>

It is signed by Julian Gilbey, whose key matches what is held in
db.debian.org.

Identification Check Passed

Policy and Procedures
---------------------

Scott and I discussed the Social Contract and the DFSG. He
demonstrated to me that he understands the principles and extent of
these documents, and that he is aware of the responsibilities of a
debian maintainer. He also explicitly agreed to abide by the DMUP. He
also answered some questions on copyrights and licenses to my
satisfaction.

Policy and Procedures Check Passed

Tasks and Skills
----------------

Scott is the upstream author for dircproxy - an IRC proxy for people
who use IRC from different workstations. It was formerly debianized by
Peter Novordsky, but now Scott is maintaining it himself under Peter's
sponsorship. Peter has this to say about Scott's skills vis-a-vis
being a debian developer:

<quote>
I maintained Scott's program dircproxy. It is written
in C IRC proxy, that does only what it needs to do. I read
code of dircproxy, and I must say, that code is clean and
clear, I think that Scott has all needed skills to become
Debian Developer.
</quote>

I checked the latest debianized version of dircproxy that Scott
produced. It is lintian clean - I also looked at the source code, and
it demonstrates good coding practices.  Scott has read through the
documents covering the Debian BTS.  He wants to be initially involved
in maintaining a few packages, but might like to contribute more. He
has been using Debian for a couple of years now, and he thinks it is
the best distribution. He would like to help out and give something
back. All in all, I think Scott shows the skills and the experience
necessary to be a debian developer and will make a great addition to
the debian developer community.

Gopal

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>