Re: The Helper Rant

> IMHO you are expecting too much from your applicants.  The description
> of the T+S check (from http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step4) says
>
>   The applicant must provide assurance that
>   they can, in fact, do the job for which they have volunteered.
>
> I think that using debehelper for building a package is absolutely
> acceptable, since this is what most of us do when building our
> packages.

Building a package with debhelper is fine, if they know what goes on
behind the scenes. Blindly following the template of dh_make is Bad,
with a capital B.

I still believe that forcing applicants to do a package without
debhelper (even if they'll never do another) is a good thing, because
they will _know_ what's going on behind.

> Frankly, I'm not sure whether I would have passed at the time of my
> own application the T+S check by the criteria you propose.

When I applied, I wouldn't have passed, however, I was willing to
learn, so I could read some docs, and figure out how to do it without
debhelper, if I would have been asked to. If it would have been a
requirement, so what? I would have spent a few hours figuring it out,
for it is _not_ hard. In fact, it's quite easy.

> I don't think that the increase of filesize is a problem here. It seems
> rather to be a question of elegance and purity. Then one should admit
> that people may have different ideas of what is elegant.

Agreed.