Re: The Helper Rant

Thus spoke Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> on 2001-10-12 14:09:17:
> FWIW, I agree with much of what you've said, except the title of your
> rant (nothing that you are ranting about is specific to any particular
> tool used in debian/rules), and this item:

When I wrote the subject, I was thinking of dh_make, which is, in my
interpretation, a helper tool. Most of the things I described are a
kind of abuse of dh_make, hence the subject.

> > Those who dare to touch upstream sources without need, tend to fall
> > deeper into that pit. As an example, when there's no install target in
> > the original Makefile, they patch it. Even if it would be an `install
> > -m 0755 foo debian/foo/usr/bin/bar' line in debian/rules' install
> > target. No, they go and patch the Makefile instead, introducing a
> > great deal of junk into the diff.
>
> A "great deal of junk" that they can (and for all you know, already
> have) trivially send upstream to make the package as a whole better.
> There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I might have been a bit upset, sorry. Maybe that paragraph shouldn't
made it into the mail.

I was imagining, that if the Makefile's install target is somewhat
buggy, but can be worked around in debian/rules with a few lines, then
one could do the workaround, and in the meanwhile, send a fixed
Makefile to upstream, thus keeping the patch cleaner (by touching less
files), and making sure the next upstream will include a fixed
Makefile.