AM report for Paul Russell

AM report on Paul Russell
=========================

Conclusion:
-----------

I recommend that Paul becomes a Debian developer.

Applicant info:
---------------

Name:	         Paul Russell
Current email:   prussell@alderaan.franken.de
Preferred email: prussell@debian.org

Background:

 > The most important goal is to create a good Debian package for User
 > Mode Linux.  I've spoken to Jeff Dike about this, and he welcomed it
 > (there's already a .deb, but it's a long way from a policy compliant
 > self-building package).  There is also the useful "iprint" utility
 > which needs packaging (a much simpler task).

 > I've been a Debian user for three years or so: it's about time I gave
 > something back.  I'm a Linux programmer by day, so becoming a
 > developer is probably the best fit.  I also think an easy-to-install
 > and use User Mode Linux is going to be a huge boon for less technical
 > users.

Identification:
---------------

Paul provided me with the following gpg key:

pub  1024D/37DA4DAB 2001-06-18 Paul Russell <prussell@alderaan.franken.de>
sig!       37DA4DAB 2001-06-18  Paul Russell <prussell@alderaan.franken.de>
sig!       3D08B612 2001-09-02  Mark Purcell <mark@purcell.homeip.net>
sub  1024g/555837C8 2001-06-18
sig!       37DA4DAB 2001-06-18  Paul Russell <prussell@alderaan.franken.de>

It is signed by Mark Purcell <msp@debian.org>.

Identification check passed.

Policy and procedures:
----------------------
Paul agrees to follow the DSFG and the Social Contract in his Debian
related work. He will also follow the DMUP. I asked him some question
about those documents, as well as about Debian procedures. His answers
show that he knows what he is talking about.

Policy and procedures check passed.

Tasks and Skills:
-----------------
Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au>, who advocated Paul, wrote:
 > I've known Paul for a number of years and he is a highly
 > skilled programmer; he can't help but be an asset to Debian.

The first package Paul made, iprint (prints out the octal, hexadecimal,
and or ascii values of the characters fed to it on the command line),
is, as Paul himself remarked, ``embarrassingly trivial''. The packaging
was well done, nonetheless.
On my request, he also packaged a somewhat more complex package, dbench
(dbench and tbench simulate the load of the netbench "industry
standard" benchmark used to rate (windows) fileservers). The packaging
of this package was also ok, and his package is lintian clean.

Tasks and skills check passed.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |