AM Report on Jason Thomas

AM Report for Jason Thomas

Maintainer.

Identification
--------------

Jason provided the following GPG key (attached):

pub  1024D/925288BE 1999-06-22 Jason Thomas <jason@topic.com.au>
sig!       925288BE 1999-06-22  Jason Thomas <jason@topic.com.au>
sig?       1A72475D 1999-06-22
sig!       DE89C75C 2001-05-03  Sam "Eddie" Couter <eddie@blitzen.canberra.edu.au>
sub  2048g/49DA50EB 1999-06-22
sig!       925288BE 1999-06-22  Jason Thomas <jason@topic.com.au>

It is signed by Sam Couter, a debian developer, whose fingerprint
matches what is held in db.debian.org.

Identification Check Passed

Policy and Procedures
---------------------

Jason and I discussed the Social Contract and the DFSG. He
demonstrated to me that he understands the principles and extent of
these documents, and that he is aware of the responsibilities of a
debian maintainer. He also explicitly agreed to abide by the DMUP. He
also answered some questions on copyrights and licenses to my
satisfaction.

Policy and Procedures Check Passed

Tasks and Skills
----------------

Jason wants to take over titrax (an orphaned time tracker program),
and is interested in adopting tidy. I took a look at the updated
packages, of which he had even closed a bug in tidy. The packages were
lintian clean. Sam Couter is his advocate, and he had this to say of
Jason:

<quote>

Jason is the System Administrator here at work, which gives him a wide
range of experience in lots of different situations and on lots of
different systems. We primarily run Debian (both stable and unstable)
with various configurations, so that's where most of Jason's
experience comes from these days.

He's made custom modifications of different bits of software (some
kernel modules even) for use here, and he's competent in a few
different programming languages and scripting languages without being
extraordinary in any of them.  More importantly, he has an
understanding of *what* he's doing or needs to do, and can usually
work out *how* without much fuss.

I think Jason has a skill set that's suitable for maintaining packages
in Debian (that's why I advocated him, of course). I'd be happy to see
him join the project, as I believe he has something to offer.

</quote>

Personal Info: I asked Jason what drew him to linux and debian. He
says he has been using linux for the past 4 years, and started out
with redhat. A friend introduced him to debian and since then, Jason
helped migrate machines at his workplace from redhat to debian. He is
sold on debian primarily for its package management system.

All in all, I think Jason shows the skills and the experience
necessary to be a debian developer and will make a good addition to
the debian developer community.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>