Wojciech Jeczmien on hold

Hi Wojciech,

I have reviewed your package 'mailreader' (2.3.26-8) and find a number
of problems, some of which are listed below; they indicate that you have not
tested the package very thoroughly.

The program 'filler' is, as you say, just a simple game, and must belong
to 'non-free' because it depends on Sun's Java.  It doesn't provide a
good test of a developers skills.

Therefore, I cannot at this time recommend that you be granted
developer status, and have therefore put your application on 'hold'.
If you are willing to adopt one of the packages that has been orphaned
or for which where is an RFP, then I will reactivate your application.

Best regards,
Susan Kleinmann

To cite just a few examples:
All of the gif files that are used by mailreader appear to be missing.

The policy requires that CGI executables should be installed in:
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/<cgi-bin-name>
and be accessible via  the URL:
http://localhost/doc/<package>/<filename>
'mailreader' has numerous files that were intended to go in the cgi-bin
directory tree, so a whole directory, /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailreader/ was
created to accomodate them.  In reality, only a few are really CGI executables.
Most are template files that should be stored in /usr/share/mailreader.
I understand that making this fix would require major surgery on the
mailreader package itself, but that tells me that the mailreader package
is not constructed according to commonly used guidelines for publicly
installable software.

The HTML files are not accessible unless the mailreader program is
actually working.  That is, they use the CGI scripts that are provided
with the package.  This greatly complicates debugging for someone who
has installed mailreader but finds that, for some reason, it doesn't work.

There is a bug in the postrm file: the argument to the '-e' test needs
to be quoted:
if [ -e "/var/log/mailreader.*" ]; then

Since mailreader doesn't work with some WWW servers, a simple dependency
on 'httpd' won't suffice; a dependency on a list of the servers which
do work is needed.