Re: Daniel Stone

On 18 Mar 2001 10:32:12 +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Brian Russo wrote:
> >
> > I have not met him in real life, or even known him long
> > via irc, however my consistent image of him is not one
> > of trust, nor maturity, but well..
>
> I have met him in real life at a key signing party with 5 or 6 other
> developers, he seemed to get along well with everyone, he gave me the
> impression that he was very mature for his age and motivated to work
> with the debian community.
>
> Im not in a position to judge his technical knowledge though.

OK.

I sent a short reply to Glenn before (I was in a hurry, and this carried
over to me
hitting Reply, not Reply to All). Basically, I thanked him.

I must admit I got a shock when I saw a thread with my name in it in the
archives ...

In case the rest of you are not aware, I have withdrawn my NM
application. Basically,
I am a) too busy, and there was b) no chance in hell of passing "elmo's
fuckwit filter",
and c) he ignored every single email I ever sent him. I don't get on
well with Brian,
because I jumped into #debian-devel, and got abused by him within 30sec
of joining.
Most of it about how much of a "fuckwit" I was, and how every DD was a
"fuckwit"
according to me, etc. Which gave me the shits, so I grew my /ignore list
by one. He
didn't like it ... tough; that's what you get when you're being as much
of a moron as he
was that night. *shrug*

Basically, I said some stuff ... how to put it?
I don't dispute what I said in those emails with Ben Collins; the basic
gist was right,
if you just cut through the random ranting abuse. While I still think
what I said is entirely
correct, I 'spose that was a lesson in the fact that a) email like that
is memorable, and b)
http://lists.debian.org - archives. If it was the me, now, writing those
emails, then, I would
be a lot more diplomatic. I still think what I said is more or less
true; I just try and not say
stuff like that to -devel much these days.

I think I've matured since then. It's too bad that the flames with BenC
is what everyone
remembers; since I don't think it fairly reflects on me, now. Anyways,
due to the reasons
above, and the fact that this year of school is now head-down, arse-up,
I'm too busy
to be bothered with stacking Debian on my plate; besides, I'm not going
to pass DAM
(even being rejected would be preferable to being ignored) anyway - so
what's the
point?

I am still looking for a sponsor for my packages, I have no intention of
withdrawing them.

I would like to contribute to Debian, but obviously I'm not going to
pass DAM, so I
withdrew (the only thing I've heard from Troup in my life was, after I
withdrew, when I
asked him on IRC why he stalled me, he said "you've withdrawn, now let
me work on
other people's apps" - I wouldn't think ignoring emails would've been so
hard, but hey).

Thankyou,

Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer