Re: AM Report For Robin Verduijn

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Gopal Narayanan wrote:

> Precisely! I always thought that part of the AM's task was to educate
> and mentor. I don't mind doing that to an extent. Some of my
> applicants were obviously quite advanced both in packaging skills and
> in the policies and procedures of debian, while some others were
> enthusiastic, but seemed to need more hand-holding. I would strongly
> argue that we can't really tell which one of the above would end up
> contributing more towards Debian!
>
> Adrian, give the new maintainers a chance! We all started as newbies
> on the learning curve.

I give applicants a change. I sponsor several of them and when I find
errors in their packages or when they have questions I'm always willing to
help. But to give them a change means for me to help them getting the
needed knowledge for becoming a package maintainer, not saying "Tasks and
Skills passed" at a time when they can't produce good packages.

When we don't do a real check of the skills at the Tasks and Skills check
it would be more honest to skip this step completely.

> When an applicant demonstrates that he can fix the problems when
> pointed out, I deem that he has demonstrated ability in "tasks and
> skills".

Where do you know from that he doesn't only fix problems when pointed out
because you are the AM who judges on him or the sponsor who must upload
his package? I had one case where I agreed to sponsor someone who was
waiting for DAM approval. Isent him a list of things he had to correct at
his package before I'd upload it. some days later I got an answer that was
a polite version of "I got my Debian account. Now I'm able to upload my
package myself and I can ignore the things you wanted me to do".

> Gopal.

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi