Re: AM Report For Robin Verduijn

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Gopal Narayanan wrote:

> > > Tasks and Skills
> > > ----------------
> > >
> > > Robin has already debianized kvirc - a graphical IRC client that uses
> > > the QT toolkit. I looked the package over. It initially had many
> > > lintian errors, which Robin subsequently fixed upon being pointed out.
> > > Tasks and Skills passed
> >
> > Why doesn't he run lintian by himself? I thought this is a minimum skill I
> > can expect from a package maintainer?
> >

> If this is not just a rhetorical question, I think it is a little
> dangerous to impose such arbitrary "minimum" skills requirements late
> in the game. I was happy enough that the applicant fixed the problems
> when advised of them.

I'm happy when someone fixes problems, too. The checklist at [1] says:
  If the applicant is intending to maintain packages for Debian, some
  demonstration of those skills will be required.

I'm not sure if I do perhaps expect too much when I say that packaging
skills include more than just calling dh_make. I expect from a Debian
maintainer that he knows how to produce a high quality package. Everyone
makes mistakes when he makes his first package. That's normal but that's
in my opinion not the time when you can say "Tasks and Skills passed".

> Gopal.

cu,
Adrian

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step4