Re: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation'

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:05:14PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> I have recently seen an increase in applicants who are unprepared or
> don't even respond to my initial or follow-up messages.  I have the
> strong suspicion that this is related to the fact that it's really
> easy to sign up for NM -- simply enter your name and e-mail address,
> and there you go!  You no longer have to think how serious you are
> about it and what you want to do for Debian.

Confirmed, I have a short list of applicants and 3 or 4 just didn't reply,
realized they were really interested in joining, or just don't pay attention
to the NM process.

> My proposal is this: You can no longer apply to become a Debian
> developer yourself, but instead you need an existing Debian developer
> to recommend you.

[snip]

> What do you think of this?  I would like to implement this sooner than
> later, so please share your comments.

I strongly support Martin's proposal.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E