Re: AM report on

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Craig Small wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 10:01:01PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > I'm wondering why he didn't find the lintian error by himself. I thought
> > one of the minimum skills we can expect from a developer is that he runs
> > lintian on a package he has build?
>
> Might not of ever heard of it. I only found out about it through IRC.
> I've had a few maintainers that have not heard of it before, or perhaps
> heard of it but didn' know what it did fully.
>
> Most of the time, I say this is what lintian said, perhaps you should
> run it. They reply is sometinhg like "gee, i wish I knew it did
> that/knew about it before I emailled you".

I don't know if I expect too much when I say an applicant should read at
least the "Debian New Maintainers' Guide" [1] before he makes a package...
This manual has a very good section about how to check for errors in a
package.

> Usually a sign of inexperience, but then we already knew they were
> inexperienced didn't we?

I disagree a bit that an AM says "Tasks and skills check passed." when an
applicant doesn't know how to check for errors in his packages - this
produces many avoidable bugs and is in my opinion an extremely important
skill.

>   - Craig

cu,
Adrian