AM report for Andreas Bombe

Summary for Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>

Identity
--------

Andreas' GnuPG key is signed by several Debian developers, including
myself.

pub  1024D/04880A44 1999-03-21 Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>
sig        68FD549F 2000-12-13  Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>

Philosophy & Procedures

Tasks & Skills
--------------

Andreas is upstream of "libraw1394" (a library for direct access to the
IEEE 1394 bus) and has provided a debian subdirectory in upstream CVS
for quite some time.  Recently, the package was uploaded to unstable by
sponsor Günter Geiger <geiger@epy.co.at>.  I noticed that "dvgrab"
depends on libraw1394, so I asked the maintainer Daniel Kobras for his
opinion.  He answered,

 > Yes, actually I pushed Andreas to try to include libraw1394 into
 > Debian proper, so I could upload a sane dvgrab package.  I've been
 > following Linux IEEE 1394 development for about a year now, and as
 > far as I can tell, Andreas does an extremely good job at leading the
 > project. I've made use of linux1394 in programs of my own as well and
 > was impressed by the well-designed interface, especially for a
 > project that at the time had been in its early stages. I believe
 > quite a fair part of this is due to Andreas' work. He's quick to fix
 > bugs, yet still thoughtful in his changes.

 > As for the libraw package itself, he has been providing Debian
 > infrastructure in the main CVS for quite some time now. I didn't spot
 > any glitches in the packages, so I asked him why he didn't push them
 > into main. Andreas' answer surprised me: He was concerned about
 > policy violations regarding the creation of device nodes. We worked
 > out how to best solve this problem, which he promptly did. As you
 > know, libraw1394 is in main now, and a nice, lintian-clean package.

 > To summarize, Andreas clearly is a skillful developer. His concern
 > about policies shows that he is aware of Debian rules and guidelines
 > and willing to conform to them. I definitely recommend accepting
 > Andreas as a Debian developer.

Recommendation

I recommend that Andreas be accepted as a Debian maintainer.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com