Re: task & skills

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 04:04:15AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> You know, I would have failed the new-maintainer process then.
>
> Packages have bugs. People make mistakes. I make many, see my
> [...]

And so do I.  But through experience, I now know what most of them
are, and only tend to make silly packaging mistakes, much less
commonly serious mistakes (although I do from time to time).

Nevertheless, I want to ensure that my applicants know HOW to package
at least one package correctly, and are capable of doing so.  Remember
that the "packaging policy" is now quite intricate and complex, so it
can take time to absorb.  And if an applicant has not been sponsored,
I see it as my AM responsibility that they are capable of building a
Debian package before I pass them on to the DAMs.  One of mine is now
nearly there -- but it's taken a long time.  Nevertheless, I think
it's worth it, as it's guaranteed that they will listen to the AM in
this stage and hence learn the system properly; if they don't listen,
they don't get through.  I really think that the quality of Debian
will benefit as a result.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg