Re: NM process reasons

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> I was asked by one of my applicants why Debian is unlike other OSS
> projects, requiring an identification and philosophy check, etc.  I
> explained to him the reasons as I see them, but I think it would be a
> good idea to put them on the front page of the NM corner
> (http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint), immediately after the
> "Contents" section.  Something like (only in sketch form today):

Good idea ;-)

> Why does Debian require the NM process?
>
> - developers have to be trusted: root on lots of boxes, no automatic
>   peer review or checking of uploads, etc.
> - developers much more independent than in a "single piece of
>   software" project
> - so big mistakes or malice are in general much more serious than in a
>   small OSS project
> - so Debian needs to attempt to ensure that potential developers are
>   competent and identifiable -> accountable.

 - To assure the Debian community that accepted applicants agree with our
principles and goals, reducing the contention over these issues.

 - Because one person can no longer do the job, some "proceedures" become
necessary to assure others in the process that the necessary steps have
been taken.

Luck,

Dwarf