Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 02:32:01PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> For me, it would be harder to provide a recent photo, that it would be to
> provide a copy of my passport, so I appologize if I'm a bit incredulous
> about the difficulties of providing "adequate" identification. I find the
> technical argument (the applicant does not have access to scanners,
> etc...) to be as weak, because it declares a lack of "connectedness" with
> the "technological" society they wish to enter. This may sound harsh, but
> then again, Debian isn't a life-raft where every living, breathing,
> individual who comes along is a viable candidate for inclusion. We need
> some automatic filters in place to manage the desires of these would-be
> Debianites.

So out with Kernigan and Ritchie, they had no scanners so could not have
had anything to contribute.  (Please be sure to note that this is a
comment on the arrogance of the assumption that one who does not have
convienent access to the latest technology cannot have anything of
value to contribute.)

--
jcz@espllc.com (Jim Ziegler)