Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 06:58:40PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> > Therefore, what does it matter that I can't remember the face of the
> > person whose key I signed six months ago? I am still happy that I saw
> > good ID, and that if I get mail signed/encrypted with that key that it
> > comes from that person.
> While your happiness _is_ important, just how does it help the
> administrators of Debian? I haven't seen his face, nor has the DAM. You
> are the lucky one who _has_ seen his face, but we know we can not ask you
> at this point if the face matches the name. We agree that the activity
> actually happened at the same time we agree that we can't re-create the
> event accurately in memory.

How does having a picture help the administrators? We don't do biometrics.

What difference does it make if the face matches the name? If I get
plastic surgery, is there some problem somewhere? Should I get one of
those cute masks from MI:2 and wear it at conferences or something?

Do we still do phonecalls for every new maintainer? ie, "What's your
phone number?" "555-5555" "Okay." [dial] [ring, ring] "Hello" "Hi,
I'm calling about your n-m application..."

Can you give an example scenario where, given a phone call and given a key
signed by one or two other developers (who've checked passports and such
before so doing), a photo will still be necessary to avoid some problem?

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark