Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
>
>  > It comes down to: Can you do "normal" things that may be required by the
>  > task at hand? Scanning a passport seems to be a reasonable skill to
>  > require of incoming members. Isn't it?
>
> No. Why should being a debian developer require you to be able to get
> hold of a scanner?

Why should we require them to have access to a computer?

We don't require this. We do require them to be "competent" enough to be
able to crate an image file from a document. Consider this a technical
performance test. "Can the applicant provide a specific document in
digital format, properly signed?"

This just doesn't seem to be the onerous task that several have made it
out to be. It's just another requirement for becoming a member. Why not
just obliterate all the requirements, and make signing up sufficient to
membership? We did that at one time, why not now?

If you can't answer the above questions, you simply haven't been paying
attention to the particulars of the problem posed by new maintainers.

We wish to restrict membership to those people who are open and capable of
cooperating in a joint project like Debian. Try looking at this from
Debian's point of view instead of the poor abused applicant.

Luck,

Dwarf