Re: packaging fdk-aac-free

Hi Jeremy,

Le ven. 30 juin 2023 à 19:56, Jeremy Bícha
<jeremy.bicha@canonical.com> a écrit :

> I believe the best path forward is to create a new source package for
> Fedora's fork of fdk-aac. Fedora's fork removes the newer HE (High
> Efficiency) and HEv2 profiles because of patent concerns that don't
> apply to the older profiles. Fedora names their project fdk-aac-free
> so I would use that as our source package name.

I totally agree, I was about to take this way!
Wim Taymans, who seems to maintain this "fork" [1], moved the repository
at [2] four days ago, but it lacks tags and a README explaining the reason
of this fork. It would be helpful to have a README saying the parts with
patent concerns have been stripped and the Fedora/Red Hat legal team has
approved this fork. I wanted to discuss that with Wim but I haven't had
the time yet. Anyway, this is not blocking for us.

[1] not really a fork since he seems to do regular syncs.
[2] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wtaymans/fdk-aac-stripped/

> There are two other Debian packages that could use fdk-aac,
> gst-plugins-bad1.0 and pipewire and I believe Fedora's fork is
> sufficient for them also.

The pipewire package in Fedora use this fork for its AAC features.
BTW, Wim Taymans is the main developer of pipewire and maintainer of
its fedora package. So, from the pipewire point of view, it makes sense
to follow this way.

Best regards,
Dylan