Re: Thanks for Kodi package

Hi Sebastian!

>Thanks for the kodi package! Works like a charm (bullseye).
>
>Keep up the good work and have a nice weekend!

Thanks for the great feedback!!!

>P.S.: The Wiki article [1] doesn't even mention the Kodi by Debian
>package. If you want help to change that let me know.

Please do! What I want ultimately to achieve is to make package installation
convenient for end users. Now some releases (bullseye) have main and
backports, v20 is in experimental, it all requires APT pinning to update
smoothly… I consider the following plan to happen in Debian re Kodi
(sooner to later):

1. Get Kodi 19.x add-ons into bullseye-backports and 20.x into experimental

2. Create a 'kodi-installer:all' package that offers the TUI wizard to let user
choose which version of Kodi to install based on Debian suite and configure
repository pins, _kodi user creation, kodi-standalone service registration
automagically. There is demand for such automation (see old src:kodi bugs)

3. Write an announcement to official Kodi blog and Planet Debian describing
the usage of kodi-installer for end users. And update Kodi and Debian wiki,
respectively!

3. Package Elm compiler and package elm-chorus using it. elm-chorus
( https://github.com/xbmc/elm-chorus ) is a scratch replacement of Chorus
and Chorus2 web interfaces written in Elm. Chorus2 was notoriously known
for license complexity, and Elm port is much simpler in that regard.

4. Upstream libdvd* and ffmpeg patches specific to Kodi to get rid of embedded
tarballs.

5. Once there are no embedded tarballs left in Kodi packaging, persuade the
Release Team to accept up-to-date bugfix releases of Kodi into new stable-p-u.
This way v20 will not end like v19: 19.1 for bullseye-updates and 19.4 for
bullseye-backports.

If you feel you want to make Kodi from Debian better, you can offload me a bit
by taking the elm compiler packaging.

Cheers!
--
Vasyl Gello