Re: Debian multimedia: NSM / Non-Daw / (static linking)

On 10/03/2020 12:54, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> On 3/10/20 12:43 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
>>> Upstream developer wonders whether statically linking is allowed in
>>> Debian:
>>>
>>> "What I was referring to is not having an NTK package at all. NTK would
>>> have to be compiled during the NSM build and NSM statically linked to
>>> it, which means that (the relevant parts of) NTK would be built into the
>>> NSM binary and no NTK libs would have to be included in the NSM package.
>>> Doing it this way for all the Non stuff, if you had it all installed and
>>> running at the same time, would be a waste of resources, but if NSM is
>>> the only NTK using program you're using, it's actually slightly more
>>> efficient to have it be statically linked. Would definitely complicate
>>> the build process a bit though."
>>>
>> Static linking is allowed, but not preferred:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking
>>
> Isn't this link about library packages?
>
> Read the quote of upstream developer again, he seems to hint on a
> slightly other situation where there would be no NTK libs at all.

Well Ntk is a library :-)
But you have a good point. I think what we are talking about is making
the library private, not shared. In that respect, static or dynamic
linking can probably be done (and dynamic is probably easier). But I am
getting out of my comfort zone in these discussions.
See Debian Policy 10.2 about where private (not public) libraries should
be installed.

--
Regards,

Ross Gammon
FBEE 0190 904F 1EA0 BA6A  300E 53FE 7BBD A689 10FC