Re: ffmeg on i686

Hi chrishell (or Chris?),

Quoting chrishell (2017-01-14 15:57:10)
> I have a bad performance with multimedia players like VLC since summer
> last year on my Thinkpad X60 with testing (Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU and
> Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller).
[...]
> I suspect this has something to do with ffmpeg since it began with the
> chaging from libav to ffmpeg.
[...]
> So my questions are: is ffmpeg the reason for the performance drop on
> my X60? And if so, is it possible to take the source package of ffmpeg
> modify it with other optimizations in order to build a ffmpeg, which
> is more usable for my 32Bit system?

I would recommend that you first try use mpv (alone or with gnome-mpv
frontend).

If that does not (please you and) provide the speed boost you hope for,
then you might try recompile various parts of the stack.  I'll let
others more intimately familiar with FFmpeg and VLC packaging assess
whether those packages in particular already provide 686 optimizations
or not.

 - Jonas