Re: Demo music in Debian?

Am Samstag, den 29.11.2014, 18:53 +0100 schrieb W. Martin Borgert:
> The only fear I have is, that Debian would start a fight about
> which music to include or exclude. The rockers and mods fought
> much harder than fans of sysvinit and systemd. Would we need to
> form a cultural committee? Will there be a GR about music? This
> could be the dynamite to blast Debian into pieces...

Others have already tried harder, so I currently do not see this as
Debian's biggest risk. ;)

But seriously, there is the sound-theme-freedesktop package which is
pulled in by all "big" desktop environments and contains a lot of sounds
that could be used as "demo music". Unfortunately, the sound files are
rather well hidden in the file system
in /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo.

Furthermore, at least in GNOME it is possible to test the speakers in
the Audio panel in the system settings application.

So, no, I don't think that we need to install actual demo *music* in
Debian (and I would consider it as bloat to have megabytes of music
worth several minutes on my hard drive as a consequence of installing an
operating system without having asked for it) but agree that it could be
made easier to find and test the sound samples that are already there.

Cheers,

Fabian