Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

Hi,

On 13.11.2014 15:12, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
Right, I believe there are many libavcodec-using packages out there that
are licensed under GPLv3 or similar licenses, whereas we forcefully keep
the default library package at GPLv2. Are there any counter-examples?

Several packages using libavcodec are GPL v2 only:
 * dff [1]
 * hedgewars [2]
 * openjfx [3]
 * visp [4]

There are likely some more.

All of them have an alternative dependency on libavcodec-extra-56, which is strictly speaking a license violation. Probably appropriate Conflicts relationships between them and libavcodec-extra-56 are necessary.

However, I wonder if the few additional codecs in the extra package are worth all the additional complexity. How many actually use these codecs?

Best regards,
Andreas

1: https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/d/dff/copyright-1.3.0%2Bdfsg.1-4.1 2: https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/h/hedgewars/copyright-0.9.20.5-12
3: https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/o/openjfx/copyright-8u20-b26-3