Re: Blender Package

Thanks for looking into these, I don't have a lot to add but reply to
a few points inline.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Kevin Roy <kiniou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Campbell,
>
> Le 30/12/2011 12:22, Campbell Barton a écrit :
>> Looked over deps, these can be removed
>> libftgl-dev,
>> libsamplerate0-dev,
>
> Ok but are you sure about libsamplerate because 'grep' reveals that
> audaspace still use it.

The files are still there but they have been removed from the
buildsystems, they probably should be removed from our repo too (I
don't maintain this area) but for whatever reason the dev wanted to
keep them for a while.

You can see they are not added in:
  intern/audaspace/CMakeLists.txt

So its safe to remove this dep.

>> control: description text
>> "a web plug-in are common products of Blender use." --- should be
>> removed, web plugin has not been functional for over 5 years.
>
> Indeed ... I've saw that one long ago and completely forgot to change it :)
>
>> TODO:
>> file seems out of date, references linux2-config.py which is no longer
>> used with cmake.
>> "- Maybe add libode0-dev to the B-D (not needed?)." --- this has not
>> been used in blender for years
>
> I was thinking of updating it after 2.61 will be good for upload as most
> of the topics are either completed or outdated.
>
>> patches:
>> - applied 0003-fix_FTBFS_on_KFreeBSD.patch to our SVN
>
> Ok. This will be dropped at next git-buildpackage patch rebase.
>
>> - 0005-install_in_usr_lib.patch, patch says:
>>   * Arch-specific files go to /usr/lib rather than /usr/share
>>   --- What are the arch-specific files?
>
> This patch was done to shut down a lintian error about python script not
> allowed in /usr/share from the Debian Policy point-of-view (and at the
> time my debian mentor didn't want to upload with this lintian error).
> As far as I remember, I think lintian detected some binary installed in
> /usr/share/blender and I came up with this patch to workaround this error.
> I will build without the patch to see if the error remains.

There used to be sequencer and texture plugins compiled, but not
anymore. guessing this caused the problem.

Otherwise if its python scripts, I looked on a ubuntu 11.04 system and
found many (4514) *.py scripts in /use/share for packages Id expect to
be well supported.

eg:
 ./python3/debpython/pydist.py
 ./glib-2.0/gdb/glib.py
 ./gdb/python/gdb/printing.py

>> - 0004-disable_tests.patch --- whats the harm in having these? - they
>> only run if you do "make test".
>
> With blender-2.59, I had to disable the tests because dpkg-buildpackage
> failed to build without them as they were not present in the tarball but
> in lib directory in the svn trunk.
> Maybe this could be moved into the release directory so that could be
> tested by users.

I'd be a bit worried about the file sizes, I know some projects do
this but tests could easy get into 100's of mb - while now they are
only 30mb this is because we don't have very many tests.

Couldn't dpkg-buildpackage just not run 'make test' ?

Another option is to move the test cmake files into lib/tests/ but
this is a bit annoying since not all the tests use files from
lib/tests, not sure what to do here so perhaps existing solution is
good enough for the time being.

> Thanks again for your leads and I'm looking forward for future work with
> you or other upstream devs.
>
> NB: Since blender package is now part of the debian-multimedia team, we
> should contact each others through (or just CC) the mailing list of the
> team (debian-multimedia@lists.debian.org). That way others debian
> maintainers can help.
>
> Cheers,
> --