Re: Help: How to verify working microphone

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 08:33:56PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I plan to do a mumble interview and I would like to be prepared that
> everything works right.  What is the simplest way to verify that the
> microphone is working (what program to use to do a sound record).

I always liked arecord, it's so straight forward. parec(ord) seems to be
the pulseaudio equivalent, though I never tried the latter.

If you have jackd running (I guess you shouldn't, since you're not doing
any pro-audio stuff), jack_rec or jack_capture will do the trick.

If you have jackd running, the meterbridge package does the job, also
ardour includes channel meters, but you'd need to know how to create a
track and connect inputs to it.

In theory, audacity could be your friend. If it's working, go for it, if
it's not, then don't waste time. It's more likely audacity is broken
than your mic isn't working. ;)

There might be some small GNOME/KDE sound records, but I don't know any.

Cheers

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver