RT prio settings and much more

Hi!

I saw a "We need more people" mail on LAD, that's why I checked the
wiki, subscribed to this list and seeked through the bug list.

I feel I could help Debian, especially with pro-audio stuff. I'm doing
my PhD thesis in computer science, run a small recording studio (still
based on Win32), play the piano and the guitar, did some coding for
FFADO and I like to fix bugs before breakfast. ;)

In other words, I know both sides: musician's/producer's requirements
and C/gdb to get it right. ;) So much for the introduction.

Things we can improve quite easily:

  - #507248. After a little discussion, I suggest to create a new
    package which asks whether to tweak system settings and to which
    degree. It boils down to placing a file in /etc/security/limit.d/,
    containing two lines, one for memlock and one for rtprio.

    One would need sensible defaults for debconf. Should I come up with
    a proposal, first as an addition to jackd, which then could be
    refactored into a separate package? (pulseaudio would also benefit
    from these settings, at least Fedora uses them for PA)

  - FFADO: libfreebob is outdated, there are so many users in #ffado
    asking for FFADO packages. Ubuntu Jaunty already has it:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ffado&searchon=names&suite=jaunty&section=all

    Can we adopt these packages?

  - New package: http://calf.sf.net. IMHO, it's the must-have plugin for
    pro-audio productions. I've never seen anything on Linux which comes
    closer to the requirements of a studio surroundings.

    Though a lot of work, it's surely worth the effort.

I'll go on checking the bugs page and try to fix where I'm somewhat
involved...

Cheerio

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver