Re: FFMpeg package maintenance, was: Multimedia Teams in Debian

Reinhard Tartler schrieb:
I have mixed feelings. on the one hand, this surely seems to be a great
idea to improve debian. On the other hand, I'd like to avoid to avoid to
clutter our set of maintained packages (and therefore the debian
archive) with substandard packages nobody cares for anymore.

Obviously there *is* a demand for these packages, since repos like debian-multimedia and medibuntu keep on distracting users and effort from the main distros for years.

In debian we have a history on deciding each package addition on a case
by case basis by the means of filing RFP/ITP package bugs. Let's
continue that and maintain a list of pkg-multimeida/debian-multimedia
FRP/ITP bugs on wiki.debian.org. Grouping (and querying) can be
implemented using usertags.

Sure. There is of course some crap in these archives, but there are also many valuable software packages (e.g. transcode, avidemux, cinelerra, mythtv come to my mind) that are not available in the official Debian archive. We should really think about what is needed and try to get these packages in Debian.

--
Dipl.-Phys. Fabian Greffrath

Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Lehrstuhl für Energieanlagen und Energieprozesstechnik (LEAT)
Universitätsstr. 150, IB 3/134
D-44780 Bochum

Telefon: +49 (0)234 / 32-26334
Fax:     +49 (0)234 / 32-14227