MIDI support changes in Java5/6

(I also posted this to the debian-java list)

Hello, I have a question about MIDI supprot in Sun Java 5/6 in Debian. I'm trying to use a program called Impro-visor, which is written in Java and uses the built-in MIDI support in Sun's Java.

I haven't been able to get any sound from this program on Linux, after having tried sun-java5-jre and sun-java6-jre, although it works fine in windows with Sun Java 6.

On Linux I'm trying to use it with a software synth (timidity/fluidsynth), since I don't have MIDI on my sound card. But the behaviour is a bit different with Java5 and Java6, and that's why I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with the build-in MIDI support of those two JREs? Has there been any changes between the two versions? I haven't found anything in the Java 6 release notes:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/ReleaseNotes.html

Using Sun Java 5, Improvisor tells me that it has found a midi device, and it says "Status: ready". With Java 6 however, it says "Status: null". In the terminal window I get an error message "*** Warning: 10:51:32AM: null - null" every time I use "Reload MIDI devices" in Impro-visor.

The authors of the program write that they don't know anything about the internals of the MIDI system in Java, so they can't help with this problem.

I use ALSA, and the timidity/fluidsynth software synths work fine when playing a midi file with pmidi.

Best regards,
Torquil Sørensen