Re: Fwd: Native Ogg Theora support in Firefox

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:41:32PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FYI :) Pretty exciting and cool indeed, IMO :)

Indeed. I'm really glad they got past the patent FUD wrt to theora to
make this happpen.

One of my post dc8 plans is to set up a server with mdale's metavid
stuff as a demo of what can be done with content from DC and other confs
I have stores of video data from.

Which reminds me, I want to capture cmml of the irc channels for later
muxing into the ogg files.

-Eric Rz.

> [...]
>  risk of this threat is negligible and if they have, other browser vendors
>  may follow.
>
> This is a big day for open media technology and a big day for the future of
>  video on the Web.
>
> It is important because the availability of free and unencumbered video and
>  audio codecs that are natively supported on the Web will make a huge
>  difference in progressing the capabilities of video on the Web. As an
>  example, look at the efforts of [Annodex][8], where we are creating video
>  webs through a video format with embedded hyperlinks and annotations. To
>  make this feasible, you need a standard and open format for the time-aligned
>  hyperlinks and annotations, which will only work with a flexible open video
>  format. This is just an example: open captioning and karaoke formats, open
>  overlay formats and many other extensions to video formats will now be
>  feasible. The golden age of online video is starting.
>
> [
> Michael Dale][9]'s [metavid][10] project is giving us a taste of this future.
>  Video can be searched on time-aligned annotations and only the relevant
>  video segment will be retrieved. Video segments can be addressed by
>  [temporal hyperlinks][11] and recombined easily into new mash-ups simply
>  through the creation of a list of temporal hyperlinks. How powerful this
>  will be when we do it across sites! This takes video into a completely new
>  dimension.
>
> Now, let's step back again from the future to the current exciting news. I am
>  particularly proud of the input that Annodex people have made to this
>  development - code from people like Conrad Parker, Andre Pang, Zen Kavanagh,
>  Shane Stephens, and many others.
>
> Chris Double from Mozilla has been implementing the Firefox Ogg Theora
>  support for more than a year and is using Shane Stephens' [liboggplay][12]
>  library, which was originally developed by [CSIRO][13] and is in the [code
>  repository][14] of the [Annodex Association][15]. liboggplay requires
>  libraries from [Xiph.org][16] (libogg, libvorbis, libtheora) and from
>  [Annodex][8] ([liboggz][17] and [libfishsound][18]) to work. All of this has
>  to work across operating system platforms.
>
> It is an enormous achievement and I congratulate the open media technology
>  community on this big success.
>
>    [1]: http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492
>    [2]:
>  http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2008/07/theora-video-backend-for-firefox-landed
> .html [3]:
>  http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/rev/20a2f518b07d5896d9392311
> b712540b101b53ec [4]: http://ajaxian.com/archives/opera-element-proposal
>    [5]:
>  http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2007/12/video-element-and-ogg-theora.html [6]:
>  http://metavid.ucsc.edu/blog/2007/12/11/the-attack-against-ogg-theora-or-how
> -i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-proprietary-web/ [7]:

believed to be clean.