Re: RFS: fluid-soundfont -- Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, tim hall wrote:
[...]
Can we not accept the upstream author's license so long as it remains unchallenged? Would you subject a text font to such scrutiny?

Yes I would (and I do), but then, text fonts are MUCH easier.  Usually,
nobody goes around copying glyphs from here and there to make a frankenstein
:-)

Of course you are right. I just find the situation similarly frustrating.

I have tried to find more information on the FluidR3 soundfonts, and indeed
they are around since 2001.

I am *not* against its addition to Debian, but IMHO we should make at least
a token effort and ask the author if *he* has any reservations about it, and
also if he ever had any trouble over the issue.  If he doesn't, I suppose we
could add it.

OK.

[...]
What real chance is there of getting it into lenny / Hardy?

It has a good chance, if the author answers to emails.  Otherwise, I
wouldn't know, you'd have to ask a ftp-master.

There are a couple of side issues here relating to recognition of mimetypes. Nautilus thinks that SF2 files are video/x-msvideo, causing

That we can fix, and we don't even have to wait for anything for it. Start
filing bugs...

Will do.

Please, please, please let's walk the extra mile for this package. How can I help? I'm not a DD either. Are we ever going to be able to distribute soundfonts? If not now, when?

You can help emailing the author about the patchset, and cc'ing the ML :)

Thanks for your reply. Which ML should we be discussing this on? I don't like cross-posting any more than necessary.

cheers,

tim