Re: RFS: fluid-soundfont -- Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:19 AM, tim hall <tim@64studio.com> wrote:
>  Please don't take my remarks personally, these are real questions. We've
>  been campaigning / waiting for a suitable soundfont candidate for
>  something like 5 years (CMIIW). FluidR3 is the obvious candidate, it is
>  pretty ancient and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frank Wen has not
>  kept records of all sample sources.

As I said, I will check with Frank about it. However, as you say, it
is likely he has not.

>  I fully realise that the font has to be sufficiently free from the
>  'tentacles of evil' that users could edit it in Swami and use it as a
>  basis for new distributable fonts and also use it in their compositions
>  without fear of retribution. This font has been out in the wild for
>  enough years, surely? OK, I know, assume nothing. So realistically, how
>  should we approach this? What real chance is there of getting it into
>  lenny / Hardy?

The chance to get it into Hardy is real. Please see the FeatureFreeze
Exception bug at [0].

>  There are a couple of side issues here relating to recognition of
>  mimetypes. Nautilus thinks that SF2 files are video/x-msvideo, causing
>  it to wrongly assume they are some form of AVI and associate with Movie
>  players rather than Swami / FluidSynth; and SFARK files as
>  application/x-extension-sfArk or application/octet-stream (i.e.
>  unknown/unsupported). I know how to deal with this as a user, it just
>  would be good to set some reasonable defaults.

These can be fixed; let's concentrate on getting the package in.

>  Toby, this is fantastic work. Thank you.

I'm as glad as you are :)

>  I suggest that the package should be distributed by debian-multimedia /
>  UbuntuStudio / 64 Studio initially to test the waters and someone
>  sensible raise at least an ITP so that any license violations can be
>  properly tracked using the BTS.

The ITP is filed at [1]. As an Ubuntu Studio dev, I can say we are
keen to see this in the repositories, though we may not distribute it
on disc as it is so large.

>  Please, please, please let's walk the extra mile for this package. How
>  can I help? I'm not a DD either. Are we ever going to be able to
>  distribute soundfonts? If not now, when?

We will, and we will start here.

Toby

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/193496