Re: What to do for new packages

Hi Reinhard,

|--==> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:26:33 +0100, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de> said:

  RT> Free Ekanayaka <freee@debian.org> writes:
  FS> OK, I've started a page: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/Merge. Please
  FS> add, edit, remove whatever you think necessary. I just filled a stub based on
  FS> what I think we have agreed.
  >>
  >>Excellent. Apparently pkg-multimedia does not have a wiki page yet, we
  >>might want to use the DebianMultimedia one as base to move forward.

  RT> Yes, I agree that using existing wiki pages minimizes confusion.

Exactly, at a later point we might want to rename the wiki page
according to the team name we choose.

  FS> Great! I placed my vote. I agree with Fabian that debian-multimedia may be
  FS> associated with Marillat's repository, and we should avoid that.
  >>
  >>That is true, even though I would point out that as far as I remember
  >>Marillat's repository used to be called simply "marillat", and only
  >>later the name has been changed to "debian-multimedia" (about 1.5/2
  >>years ago I think). The debian-multimedia mailing Debian list and
  >>associated team is there since more than 5 years now. Marillat and the
  >>other maintainers at debian-multimedia.org could have asked our
  >>opinion before using that name.

  RT> However in these 2 years, that repository has gained a lot of publicity
  RT> and fame, and we cannot ignore that. For that reason I suggest that we
  RT> use a distinguishable name, even if "we" or "you" have used/invented
  RT> that name before Christian Marillat.

  RT> Ideally we can invite Christian to collaborate or even join the debian
  RT> effords! I have already invited him to have a look at the ffmpeg
  RT> package, and am still waiting for response from him.

That is a very good idea. I think Marillat's repository was born to
host packages which were not legally distributable by Debian, but it
guess it know hosts also packages which could be included in Debian,
maybe with a few modifications.

It would really make sense to have a common repository for maintaining
these packages, in order to share patches and minimize duplicated
work.

Is anybody in touch with Christian?

Ciao!

Free